|DOING RESEARCH IN INDONESIA|
RESEARCH PROCEDURES FOR FOREIGN UNIVERSTY, RESEARCH INSTITUTE, ENTERPRISE AND FOREIGN NATIONAL IN INDONESIA
According to the Government Decree No. 41/2006, every foreign university, research institute, enterprise, and individual are welcome to conduct research in Indonesia. They are encouraged to participate in R & D activities in order to develop S & T cooperation and finally to increase Science and Technology transfers in Indonesia. Foreign researchers who will conduct research in Indonesia have to involve scientist as local counterpart from local university, research institute or Non government Organization (NGO) who has competency in the research topic.
Flow of Recearch ProcedureS
B. Research Permit Procedure
For every non-Indonesian citizen researcher that plans to conduct research within Indonesia territory, prior to the passage, he or she should apply individually for receiving a research permit from the State Minister for Research and Technology. Without such consent, any research activity (ies) by a foreigner is (are) illegal. The completed application by form of a hard copy must be addressed to:
The Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit
C. Documents Required for Application
The following enlists required documents that must be prepared during the submission for research permit application:
D. The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit
The State Ministry of Research and Technology, on conducting foreign research permit publishing, by legal, set the operations by the availing governance assistance from The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit.
The members of The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit body are consisted by Government Institutional officials from varied institutions; such as The Secretariat of the State, Department of Home Affairs, Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Law and Human Rights, Department of Defence, Department of Energy and Mineral Resources, Department of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, Department of Agriculture, Department of Forestry, Department of Industry, Department of National Education, The State Ministry of Environment, National Intelligent Bureau, Strategic Intelligent Bureau of National Army Forces, Indonesian Institute of Sciences, National Coordinating Agency for Surveys and Mapping, Nuclear Energy Regulatory Agency, Natural Atomic Energy Agency, National Institute of Aeronautics and Space, Assessment and Applied Technology Agency.
The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit duty is mainly giving approval or refusal recommendation to The State Ministry of Foreign Research and Technology or each research application, through a periodical decisive committee meeting. The committee meeting usually held by the mid of the month, to discussing foreign research application that has been submitted to the secretariat before day-10 of the month.
The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit may however, engage a meeting to discuss foreign research application under perceived urgent and crucial condition. If the application of foreign research is approved, it will be submitted to the Immigration Office in order to proceed visa authorization. Then, this visa will be sent to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General as requested by the researcher. However, under certain condition, foreign researcher(s) or the researcher’s counterpart must fulfill the requirement(s) as recommended. Visa authorization will then be proceeded after the applicant(s) submits all the required documents. Upon final refusal decision, the foreign researcher(s) and the counterpart will receive a formal letter informing that the application is being disapproved.
E. The Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit
In order to process the foreign research permit, The Coordination Team of Foreign Research Permit assisted by The Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit. Their prime duties are:
F. Arrival at Jakarta
G. Document Needed by Related Institutions
Besides to the Research Permit Letter and Research Permit Card, submitted by the State Ministry of Research and Technology, a foreign researcher must make an individual-report to the following offices:
1. Letter of Travel Permit addressed to MABES POLRI, requires:
2.Letter of Research Permit Authorization addressed to Department of Home Affairs, requires:
3.Letter of KITAS addressed to Immigration Office, requires:
4.Letter of Police Registration (Surat Lapor Diri) addressed to local police office, requires:
5.Letter of Entry Permit to Conservation Area, requires:
H. Foreign Research Permit and Type of Visa
The validity period for a research permit is maximum one. Extensional period is possible only for two terms; each is 6 months on time-length. Types of visa which might be used for research are VITAS number 315, while VITAS number 317 for foreign researcher’s family member(s). After a foreign researcher receives VITAS either number 315 or 317, he or she must report to the Immigration Office in Jakarta or other city where the research will be conducted by at least 7 days after the arrival date. Belated reporting will receive Rp 200,000.00 each-day penalty fine by Immigration Office. Foreign researcher who held VITAS number 315 valid for 6-12 months and received KITAS, might request for Exit Re-entry Permit (ERP) and Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit (MERP) if leaving from Indonesia temporarily then return to Indonesia continuing research.
I. Stop Temporarily and then Re-continuing Research
Foreign Researcher who held KITAS and VITAS number 315 and valid for 6 -12 months may apply Exit Re-entry Permit (ERP) and Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit (MERP). Foreign researcher must follow these requirements below:
1. If the researcher plans to make temporary recess and leave Indonesia prior to his/her continuing the work, then he/she must resubmit a written request to the Secretary to the State Minister for Research and Technology, Rep. of Indonesia, that encloses a consenting letter from the local counterpart. This request must also include six copies of quarterly progress report.
2. Based to the foreign researcher’s request letter, The State Ministry for Research and Technology will issue Exit Re-entry Permit (ERP) or Multiple Exit Re-entry Permit (MERP) as requested which should be addressed to the Head of Immigration Office where KITAS has been issued.
3. Exit Permit Only (EPO) would be needed for foreign researcher who finished his/her research. Letter of request for such exit permit must be addressed to Secretary to The State Ministry for Research and Technology. The letter must also encloses recommendation letter by the local counterpart, and 6 (six) copies of the tentative final report.
4. Referring to foreign researcher’s request letter, The State Ministry for Research and Technology will issue Exit Permit Only (EPO) as requested which will be addressed to the Head of Immigration Office where KITAS has been issued. Instead of Exit Permit Only (EPO), The State Ministry for Research and Technology will request for free-fiscal rate which addressed to Head of Taxation Service Office at the international airport from where researcher(s) will depart.
5. Foreign researcher who doing research less than six months might exit directly without reporting to the Immigration Office, but she/he has to submit tentative final report.
J. Research Permit Extension
A foreign researcher who holds Letter of Foreign Research Permit from the State Ministry of Research and Technology might apply for research extension which is the application should be addressed to Secretary to The State Ministry for Research and Technology not later than 30 days before the expired research permit date. To extend research permit requires the attachments below:
· Letter of request research permit extension and development explaining the reason of extending research.
· Recommendation letter from counterpart to extend research permit.
· Six copies of tentative final report
Those documents have to be received at least one month before the foreign research permit expired. Research permit extension might be given twice, maximum for 12 months.
K. The Rights and Obligations for the Local Counterpart :
1. The individual/organization party that justifiable to become working counterpart of the foreign researcher could be either from government or private higher education institution, research and development either government or private, and non-governmental organisation which are competent and suitable with a research topic.
2. The counterpart should help the foreign researcher, giving a technical direction, support and effort during his/her research in Indonesia.
3. The counterpart must take active responsibility and giving guidance to foreign researcher during his/her research.
4. The counterpart must report to the State Ministry of Research and Technology if his/her foreign researcher partner exits from Indonesia.
5. The counterpart might ask one or more Indonesian researcher to help her/his fieldwork.
6. The counterpart must involve/becoming the starter party in preparing Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) and data sharing referring to International and National legal aspects.
7. The counterpart could make an agreement with foreign researcher in term of co-authorship of patent, Intellectual Property Rights, and any publications such as books, journals, scientific magazines.
8. The copy of all material transfer agreement between counterpart and foreign researcher has to be forwarded to Secretariat of Foreign Research Permit, the State Ministry of Research and Technology, RI.
L. Foreign Research Obligation
1. The foreign researcher has to make full report to the State Ministry of Research and Technology after the research application has been approved in order to receive preliminary letters which addressed to the stakeholders and Research Permit Card.
2. The foreign researcher must make pre-project consultations with his/her counterpart before starting research.
3. The foreign researcher must completely comply to his/her approved working plan with the local counterpart.
4. The foreign researcher is not allowed to take another side job during conducting research in Indonesia.
5. The foreign researcher must perform good/agreeable manner, tolerant, and obey all custom rules in every area in Indonesia.
6. The foreign researcher has to submit a progress report in every three month and final report once he/she finishes the research project in Indonesia.
7. The foreign researcher is prohibited bringing any specimen/samples without the stakeholder permission.
8. The foreign researcher should made an agreement between the State Ministry of Research and Technology and counterpart refer to the existing Indonesia’s positive law if there is any patent, intellectual property rights, brand, and registered mark as research result.
9. The foreign researcher has to submit three copies of research result include thesis/dissertation, paper, report, or another publication to State Ministry of Research and Technology.
10. Any publications to be issued in Indonesia must receive permission The State Ministry of Research and Technology prior to publicising registration itself.
11. The foreign researcher should gives one copy of photo, slide/microfilm, video cassette, and cast as research result to State Ministry of Research and Technology
M. Writing Report Standards
In term of writing progress report, there are some points must be followed:
i. Introduction, include:
ii. Objectives, include:
iii. Result and Discussion, include:
iv. Conclusion, include:
N. Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)
Foreign Researcher who will bring or take research sample/specimen out of Indonesian region must have written permit from related governmental stakeholder and must signing Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) with related governmental stakeholder.
O. Research Vessel
Foreign researcher who will conduct research in Indonesian waters and use research vessel must request for permission to the Secretary to the State Minister for Research and Technology. In addition, he/she must request for security clearance as well as security officer to Ditwilhan, Dirjen Strategi Pertahanan, Department of Defense, Jl. Dr. Wahidin I No.1/11 Jakarta.
P. Payment of Administration